Friday, October 26, 2007

My Husband and His Extra Marital Affair


One fine morning my husband was in a pensive mood not paying attention to my non stop nonsense of chattering. I actually sensed something was brewing up in the background as for the past few days he seemed to slip off into deep thoughts too frequently .

Not able to resist my curiosity anymore I asked what the matter was. As though he was just waiting for this one question from me, he started pouring his heart about "Gita". He said had he known of "Gita" earlier itself,his entire life would have been so wonderful and happy and that "Gita" would have supported him at all times of his difficulties.

Tears started rolling down my eyes.All this while I was thinking of myself as an epitome of a "pativrita" wife and little did I know that my husband had been longing for Gita.

But who is this Gita???.

My husband burst out in laughter on seeing my tears and explained to me that it was "Bhagavad Gita" that he had been talking about. For a moment there was a sigh of relief from me..but immediately I fell into the hands of insecurity not knowing what made him interested in Bhagavad Gita .I had been having this impression that Bhagavad Gita was meant for people who are either unsatisfied with their life not knowing what to do next,or for old people who are waiting for their exit from this world.

My hubby offered me no further explanation..but handed over a few CDs titled "lectures of Swami Paramarthananda on Bhagavad Gita" and asked me to try my luck with those. It has been over a month now since I started listening to these lectures and my opinion of this great work has changed completely.

I now truly understand why this discourse has transcended beyond time.It is a great guide to the "perfect mental make up" and "positive way of life" that would help us in the journey of our life . It challenges the concept of fatalistic attitude and myths that life is nothing but a series of events where we meekly succumb to destiny . It gives a step by step guidance to the development of optimistic attitude . It demystifies the key to a contented life.

The backdrop of the Mahabharatha war and the state of confusion that Arjuna was when this discourse was delivered directly map to the challenges we face in our daily lives(which itself is a battle in its own way) and the dilemma that we face in taking our day to day decisions. These days we have so many options offered to us in a golden platter that we are having to constantly struggle to arrive at the "right" decision.This convinced me of the fact that Gita's study should be pursued in the early part of lives to equip ourselves for a mentally healthy life and not when we are at our end feeling exhausted after an eventful 70 years.

I could find a striking similarity between the talks of motivational speaker Anthony Robbins (who has turned the world upside down with his ideas) and the preachings of Bhagavad Gita. Perhaps not exploring the complete potential of these great works we are re-inventing the wheel over and over again.

These days I am happy for my husband to continue his love for Gita and devote his time for "her" .After all such extra marital affairs do more good than harm :-)

allvoices

6 comments:

Chakra said...

Moral of the Story:

Read Bhagwad Gita and slip into deep thoughts without paying attention to what your spouse says. Surprisingly, your wife would like that. :))

Aani Pidunganum said...

Hi

Just read about Gita, really good, may be i should try this at home ;)

By the way hope you remember us, myself, my wife & my boy yokeshram we all met in diwali party (hemel)...glad to see you are blogging. Will keep visiting... Do drop in when you get time @ aanipidunganum.blogspot.com

Itz me!!! said...

hi Chakra..great conclusion!!!..nice way to evade wife's thollai :-)

Sudha said...

Ya thollaiilirundu tappika vazhi than Geetha.Ella thollaiyum.Including wife.
KCS

The Eager Traveler said...

hahha very nicely written. i can't imagine ur hubby having an extra marital affair with anything! ;-)))) but it brings up an interesting point - i'm all for anything for a more healthy mental makeup....meditation/yoga which offers pranayama is another great technique. With time and practice you begin to feel the calm that transcends throughout your body. I should start reading the Gita too!

Deepak Dubey said...

Hello

I liked the humor in your article. I too have been completely taken over by Swami Parmarthananda's Gita lectures. He presents the stuff in such a down to earth, easily understandable and humorous way. Really great! Glad to know that this is being enjoyed by so many people.