Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Peer Pressure - Oops not so soon!!!!


I was talking to a friend of mine about her schedule next week and she goes.."Mad academy on Monday, tumble tots on Tuesday, Jo Jingles on Friday"

"wow" I replied asking her "you are so busy ...are these some classes that you are attending??"..

She goes" no no..these are the classes that my 1 year old little one attends ".

I just did not know what to reply...anyway she did not seem to be waiting for a reply from me and she goes" you see all these are very important for the "personality development", "inter-personal communication" , "musical skills development" blah blah blah.....of the baby"

I was happy that she did not forget that her little one was still a "baby" . All this she said are meant to prepare the baby for her pre-school.

It seems madness to me that this goes on in cycles. Few years back we never had the concept of pre-school..then pre-schools emerged from no-where as preparatory sessions for schools. Now I understand that there are hundred and one classes that prepare the babies for pre-school. Not to mention the charge of at least £5 per session per baby.

I also never fail to notice the levels of expectations that we have on our kids and we always demand the best out of our kids no matter what..but realistically are our kids able to cope up with all this??...are parents ever willing to accept that each kid is different and develops at a different pace and there are no strict benchmarks at least until they reach a certain age????.....

well I don't know and anyway I have no time to ponder on this as I am leaving to book my 19 months old daughter into "jo jingles" class :-)..that is peer pressure you see :-)



allvoices

1 comment:

Vidhya Rajesh said...

Peer Pressure always seems to rule our life - at every stage. Did we not face it as kids, then again as teenagers struggling to carve a niche for ourselves in this big bad world, and then "Marriage" (avala paaru- amma appa sonna payina kalyanam pani chamatha santhoshama iruka ? - nobody to know that better than me hee hee), how soon you can have kids .... and that flowing down to our kids too .... We always think we should break this "trend" somewhere, but do we really manage to ?